Zirconia corundum is a corundum material formed by using zirconia and alumina as raw materials, smelting at high temperature in an electric arc, and then rapidly cooling. So what are the properties of zirconium corundum abrasives? The following is introduced by Xinhongrui.
The performance of zirconium corundum abrasive:
- Microcrystalline structure and crystal size. The smelting and production of zirconium corundum requires rapid cooling to obtain abrasive particles with smaller crystals, so it has the characteristics of high wear resistance compared with traditional abrasives such as white corundum and brown corundum. The microcrystalline structure and crystal size are also the main indicators to determine the quality of AZ-40 zirconium corundum. Through the microstructure, it can be seen whether the homogeneous structure in the eutectic is perfect, whether there is a separated phase and how much the separated phase is, and at the same time it can be seen whether the separated phase is zirconia or alumina. The size of the crystals can also be seen through the microstructure. The smaller the crystal size, the more units involved in grinding and the longer the grinding life.
- Zirconia content. There are many zirconium raw materials for the production of zirconium corundum, and generally zircon sand and other zirconium materials are the main materials. The 25 zirconium produced has low zirconia content and relatively low cost, and is suitable for industries such as heavy-duty grinding wheels, steel castings, superhard steel, stone sandblasting, and wear-resistant products manufacturing. 40 zirconium corundum has high zirconia content and high bulk density, and is suitable for the production of cutting discs, coated abrasives such as steel paper dischi abrasivi, fiber wheels, nylon polishing wheels and other products.
- Particle size composition. The bulk density of zirconium corundum abrasive has a lot to do with the production process. The particle size of zirconium corundum produced by Barmac ball mill is more rounded, with high bulk density and better wear resistance.
- Bulk density. The bulk density of 25 zirconium is 1.90-2.30g/cm3, and the specific gravity is 4.3g/cm3, which is 25-35% higher than that of ordinary fused corundum. The bulk density of 40 zirconium is 2.15-2.45g/cm3, and the specific gravity is 4.6g/cm3, which is 35-45% higher than that of ordinary fused corundum. The toughness is 14-18 times that of brown corundum.
The emergence of zirconium corundum is a great progress in abrasive belt abrasives. It was invented by Norton Corporation of the United States and has a profound impact on heavy-duty and powerful abrasive belt grinding. It has excellent comprehensive properties such as high hardness, high toughness, strong wear resistance, and can produce new cutting edges when broken. Can be used for multiple metal processing. The grinding efficiency of the abrasive belt made of zirconium corundum is more than 4 times that of the ordinary abrasive belt. The more zirconia content in zirconia corundum, the better the grinding performance.
The use of zirconia corundum abrasives:
- Zirconium corundum is a high-grade refractory raw material. It is an ideal material for making high-performance sliding nozzles and submerged nozzles. It can also be used to make zirconium corundum bricks for glass melting furnaces and high-grade building materials.
- Zirconium corundum micropowder is mainly used to make abrasive paste, polishing wax, emery cloth and sandpaper, etc.
- Sintered zirconium corundum has good resistance to alkali steam, thermal shock and erosion of glass liquid. It is mainly used in the flame space of the glass furnace, the regenerator bricks and wall bricks and the upper lattice body.
- Zirconium corundum has good resistance to melt erosion. As a high-grade abrasive, it has a good grinding effect on steel, cast iron, heat-resistant steel, and various alloy materials. It can manufacture high-performance heavy-duty grinding wheels, barren grinding wheels, cutting discs, rail grinding wheels, high-speed abrasive belts, etc.
Zirconium corundum abrasive improves the brittleness of corundum, and has the characteristics of high hardness, high mechanical strength, high temperature resistance and good thermal conductivity. So what is the smelting process and standard of zirconium corundum abrasive?
Zirconium corundum sand can be used as an abrasive to blast and polish workpieces to remove rust, scale, and stains on the surface of the substrate, so that the workpiece has a better finish; It can also be used to make ceramic grinding wheels, resin grinding wheel sheets, abrasive belts, etc. It can also be used for refractory materials such as zirconium refractory bricks, zirconium-containing refractory castables, and zirconium corundum ceramic plates.
Zirconia corundum abrasive production process:
- Using selected zircon sand and carbon materials (petroleum coke) as raw materials, smelt and purify zirconia in an electric arc furnace to remove silicon dioxide (SiO2);
- Add purified zirconia, industrial alumina powder, and other additives into the electric arc furnace for high-temperature melting to further remove impurities and generate a miscible body of corundum and baddeleyite crystals;
- The cooled zirconium corundum block is crushed and screened into materials with different particle sizes by jaw crusher, Raymond mill and other equipment, and then processed into zirconium corundum products of different particle sizes through processes such as washing, drying and packaging;
Zirconium corundum abrasive standards:
The physical and chemical indicators of zirconium corundum refractory materials should follow the relevant national standards of GB/T4984-2007 “Chemical Analysis Methods for Zirconium-containing Refractory Materials”. This standard stipulates the content standards and determination methods of various elements such as silica, alumina, zirconia, titania, iron oxide, potassium oxide, calcium oxide, magnesium oxide and sodium oxide in zirconium corundum.
Zhuhai Xinhongrui Abrasives is an authorized 3m reseller. As a professional China Abranet 150 mm mesh sanding discs manufacturer, we have professional engineer support, efficient sales team and competitive price advantage, attracting customers from all over the world. We are also very careful about the preservation of raw materials, and regularly clean the storage environment to prevent moisture. If you are interested in our products, please contact us.