- 3M™ Precision Shaped Grain continuously fractures into sharp points for fast-cutting performance
- YF-weight backing is durable and excels in medium-to-high-pressure applications
- Designed to run cool to reduce metal discoloration, oxidation and risk of stress cracks
- Ceramic grain requires less pressure for efficient application
- Heat-resistant, resin-bonded ceramic grain provides durability
The flexible backing material allows the disc to conform to the shape of the workpiece, ensuring a consistent and smooth finish. Ceramic louvered discs are ideal for hard materials such as metals, stainless steel, and alloys, as well as softer materials such as wood and plastic.
They offer superior performance and durability compared to other grinding discs. Second, the ceramic flap disc provides a consistent and smooth finish, ensuring a high level of finish on the workpiece.
A revolutionary precision-shaped ceramic grain was created that continually fractures into super-sharp points and edges that slice cleanly through metal rather than gouging or plowing as traditional abrasives do. This creates a super-fast cut and lessens heat build-up in the workpiece, reducing heat-related stress cracks and discoloration. Moreover, because the abrasive itself stays cooler and sharper, it lasts significantly longer than conventional ceramic grain belts, decreasing costs and reducing belt changeovers.
The exceptionally fast cut and long life of the ceramic grain make this belt ideal for industrial environments. It is also heat resistant, produces a uniform finish over the life of the product, and helps eliminate burning during end-grain sanding applications. The YF-weight cloth backing on the 984F belt provides durability, and the mineral is resin bonded to the backing for reliable performance, even under high heat and pressure.
Our proprietary 3M™ Cubitron™ II ceramic flap disc products have raised the bar for high-performing abrasives. Our engineers started with 3M™ Ceramic Flap Disc Abrasive Grain and used technology to electrostatically orient each triangular structure on the backing to form sharp peaks and maximize cutting potential. These peaks act like individual cutting tools that slice through metal and continuously shelf-sharpen as the points break off, ensuring extended high performance in heavy-duty production applications. The grains wear evenly and provide extra-long life and consistency with less grinding pressure. The result is that Cubitron™ II products outcut and outlast every conventional ceramic industrial abrasive product on the market, maximizing productivity and minimizing belt stress and operator fatigue.
Abrasive belts come in many different widths and lengths and are used on a variety of different belt sanding tools for many different applications on metal substrates. 3M offers a broad selection of belts to fit most any industrial belt sander. Wider belts are used with wide belt sanders to dimension metal sheets, coils, or add a grain pattern to stainless steel. Medium-width belts are used on backstands to remove welds, material, and to set the grain in stainless steel. Narrow belts are used with portable belt sanders for grinding or blending right-angle fillet welds.
Belts come with various splices that join the belt ends. 3M™ Cubitron™ II ceramic flap disc Cloth Belt 984F has a fabric splice for added strength when grinding in medium- to high-pressure applications.
The 3M™ Cubitron™ II Roloc™ 984F ceramic flap disc is an excellent solution for medium- to high-pressure grinding applications that require smaller disc sizes. It can bring better performance in stainless steel, cobalt chromium alloy, and nickel alloy applications.
Product detail & Main specification
Ceramic flap discs represent a vital tool in the world of abrasives, known for their versatility, durability, and efficiency in various industries. These discs are engineered with precision and care to deliver exceptional performance in grinding, finishing, and polishing tasks across an array of materials.
Construction and Design
Ceramic flap discs are composed of multiple abrasive-coated flaps, arranged in a radial pattern, and bonded to a central backing hub. The flaps consist of a ceramic abrasive grain, which is renowned for its superior hardness, toughness, and heat resistance compared to traditional abrasive materials like aluminum oxide.
- Ceramic Abrasive Grain: The primary component, providing high cutting efficiency and longevity.
- Backing Material: Typically, fiberglass or plastic backing is used for flexibility and strength.
- Resin Bonding: Holds the abrasive grains in place, ensuring durability during high-speed operations.
Variations and Specifications
These discs come in various configurations to suit different applications and user preferences:
- Grit Size: Available in a range of grit sizes, from coarse to fine, enabling users to select the desired level of abrasiveness for specific tasks.
- Diameter and Arbor Size: Offered in different diameters and compatible arbor sizes to fit various angle grinders or power tools.
- Flap Arrangement: Some discs feature a flat design, while others have a conical shape for enhanced maneuverability and access to tight spaces.
Ceramic flap discs find application in an assortment of industries and tasks, including:
- Deburring: Removing rough edges and burrs from metal parts.
- Weld Blending: Smoothing and blending welded surfaces.
- Surface Preparation: Preparing metal surfaces for coating or painting.
- Stock Removal: Efficiently removing material from wood surfaces.
- Finishing and Polishing: Achieving a smooth, refined finish on wooden objects.
- Automotive: Grinding and shaping metal components in automotive repair and restoration.
- Construction: Smoothing concrete surfaces or shaping masonry materials.
Advantages of Ceramic Flap Discs
The ceramic abrasive grain’s exceptional hardness and toughness contribute to prolonged disc life, reducing frequent replacements.
Offers faster stock removal and better surface finishing compared to conventional abrasives, enhancing productivity.
Capable of withstanding higher temperatures, reducing heat buildup during prolonged use, which can prevent discoloration or warping.
Suitable for use on various materials, including stainless steel, carbon steel, aluminum, wood, and more.
Considerations and Best Practices
To maximize the efficiency and safety of ceramic flap discs, users should adhere to certain guidelines:
- Safety Precautions: Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) like goggles, gloves, and a face mask to shield against debris.
- Proper Tool Compatibility: Ensure the flap disc is compatible with the angle grinder or power tool being used.
- Optimal Operating Conditions: Operate the disc within the specified speed range and avoid excessive pressure to prevent overheating.
- Storage and Handling: Store discs in a dry, cool environment away from moisture and direct sunlight to maintain their performance and longevity.
Ceramic flap discs stand out as an indispensable tool in various industries, offering exceptional durability, performance, and versatility. Their ability to tackle diverse materials and applications makes them a valuable asset for professionals seeking efficiency and quality in abrasive operations.